28 Aug Behold! The Tie of Crowe!
No, this isn’t a photo of one of Cameron Crowe’s ties – I’m not THAT kind of fan!
Back when Elizabethtown was about to be released here in the UK, I was fairly adamant that I was going to go to the premiere. My luck was in when the movie was selected to be one part of that year’s London Film Festival, which, as a BFI member, I got first chance at the ballot for tickets. I nabbed front row, right near the middle, I was filled with joy.
Whilst I’m the last person to care about fashion or what I look like, seeing my first Crowe on the big screen, having that coincide with it being the premiere of that movie and then having him be there all on the same night, well, I had to do something to let the excited inner geek shine through. So I thought I’d wear his words. Crazy, I know. But give me a moment here. One of the most majestic qualities of these movies is the words. The way in which Mr Crowe manages to portray a characters emotion or thoughts is oh so often incredibly affecting. I suppose what I’m saying is, these quotes are me and how, given a chance, I’d choose to express the life I’ve lead to date.
I wear so many of these quotes like a mantra on my metaphorical sleeve every day, so for me, on this night, on this occasion, it wasn’t a crazy thing to make or wear at all. I’ll add that I was a cheeky sod that night. I briefly seized an opportunity to say hello to Mr Crowe, asking him to sign a copy of ‘Fast Times at Ridgemont High’. As he did so he chuckled, unless I’m ever lucky enough to meet him again I’ll never know why. I’m aware from interviews he loves it when asked to sign that book, so it was probably that reason. But secretly I love to think it may have been because he saw the crazy fan-couture.
Quotes under the photo, let’s play a game of guess the movie each quote is from in the comments:
1. I’m impossible to forget, but I’m hard to remember.
2. Aloha, Mr Hand!
3. Being alone, there’s a certain dignity to it.
4. I am a golden God!
5. Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around.
6. It’s all happening!
7. If it wasn’t this, it’d be something else.
8. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.
9. Show me the money!!
10. They will ruin rock an roll and strangle everything we love about it.
11. We can’t even get cable TV here, Stacy, and you want romance?
12. Even in my dreams, I’m an idiot who knows he’s about to wake up to reality.
13. If you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends.
14. This loss will be met by a hurricane of love.
15. Help me, help you.
16. I was just nowhere near your neighbourhood.
17. I’m looking for a dare to be great situation.
18. You dick!
19. Rock stars have kidnapped my son!
20. The fact that my heart is beating is all the proof you need.
21. How old are we really?
22. Isn’t it funny, the truth just sounds different.
23. The sweet is never as sweet without the sour.
24. In eleven years it will be 1984, just think about that!
25. The only true currency in this bankrupt World, is what we share with someone when we’re uncool.
26. JOE LIES!!!
27. You know that ‘woo’?
28. You complete me.
29. Please don’t take this as rejection.
30. You must chill! I have hidden your keys!
31. I didn’t invent a rainy day, I just own the best umbrella.
32. What kind of beer?
33. Good morning David. Open your eyes.
…and yes, there is a photo of me wearing this. No I’m not posting it. Well, not today anyway!